You have created your Meetup group. Now what? How do you keep the excitement going? Or you have had your Meetup group for a while, and it has lost momentum. How do you turn this around?
Get excitement going before the event.
- Leading up to the event, add updates with detailed comments on the event’s page. Ask questions to create engagement with members. Make sure to respond to questions.
Send personal messages.
- Reach out to new members and let them know what to expect at your event.
- Tell first-timers you look forward to meeting them and will introduce to them the others.
Create reminder messages.
- Put systems in place for continued communication with the group. Figure how frequent these will go out. For my group, I have let them know that I will only send out an email once a month. This way they know how often expect the email and the expect another reminder.
Work the crowd.
- People will not remember what you said, but how they felt. Be sure everyone feels welcomed and make introductions to newcomers, especially if you notice they look uncomfortable.
- Ask for help from members or friends for tasks that will not allow you to be a good host.
Celebrate each event.
- No matter the number of the turn out be happy with everyone that shows up. The right people will be present.
- Share photos afterward of the event. Select images of happy members and highlights. Let attendees know where the photos will be posted.